Santa Cruz County artists and craftspeople are invited to apply to exhibit in the Santa Cruz County Government Center (701 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz) during the 2020 Exhibit Year. Artwork will be displayed on the walls and in glass cases on the First and Fifth floors. See below for guidelines and how to apply.
- Must be a resident of Santa Cruz County
- Cannot have participated in the 2019 exhibits at the County Government Center
- All submitted work samples must have been created in the last three years and be representative of the style and content that you plan to exhibit
- All work should appropriate to a public office building – religious or political subjects, nudity, and violence are not acceptable
- Fill out the online application here
- Entries will be accepted electronically and must be received by 9am, Wednesday, December 4th.
- $25 non-refundable entry fee – can be paid online here or by check to Arts Council Santa Cruz County at 1070 River St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060.
- Entry fees must be received by Thursday, December 5th in order for your application to be screened.
About the Exhibits
Arts Council Santa Cruz County presents four exhibits each year at the County Government Center, featuring local artists. Co-sponsored by the County Department of Public Works, shows consists of work from five artists: two artists displaying on the First floor walls; two artists displaying on the Fifth floor walls; and one 3-D artist showing work in display cases on the First & Fifth Floors. Additionally, in March/April/May annually, the Arts Council produces a Youth Art Exhibit showcasing artwork created through our arts education programs in Santa Cruz County schools.
Santa Cruz County artists and craftspeople are invited to apply once a year. Applications are due in early December. Exhibits begin in January and run for approximately 9 weeks. Artists are eligible to exhibit every other year.
Applicants are screened by the selection committee, consisting of two professional artists, an Arts Council Board member, a Santa Cruz County Arts Commissioner, a representative from the County Public Works Department, and two County employees. The Selection Committee strives to provide quality exhibits representing the diverse talents of our local artists. Artists should be aware that the County Government Center is not a gallery and should plan their shows to be appropriate for a public office building. Inappropriate or unsuitable material will not be displayed.
Facts for Applicants
- Early December: Electronic applications due to Arts Council
- Fourteen 2-D artists and four 3-D artists are selected for each yearly exhibit cycle
- Artists selected to exhibit will be notified the week of December 16th
- Exhibit Year: January to December
- Artist Eligibility: Every other year