High School Mentor Evaluation Findings 2017-2018
Mariposa’s Art after-school programs bring visual art, music, dance and theatre to more than 2,000 students in schools that have little or no funding for the arts during the regular school day.An inter-generational model, Mariposa’s Art high school students and teaching artists work together to co-teach lessons to elementary and middle school students.
Art high school mentors take a pre survey in September and a post survey at the end of the first semester in December and then again in May, at the end of the second semester. This allows us to track their experiences over the entire school year.
At the post survey in May 2018, more than half (62%) of the students were in 10th grade, 31% were in 12th grade, and 8% were in 9th grade. All youth were Latinx.
The Impact of Mariposa’s Art at the End of the School Year
In the May post survey, students were asked to assess the impact of Mariposa’s Art. The top findings showed that:
- 100% said they agreed/strongly agreed that they would recommend Mariposa’s Art to a friend.
- 100% said that their teachers cared about them, and that the students themselves cared more about other people as a result of the program.
- 100% said that because of Mariposa’s Art, they are better at goal setting and problem solving.
- 93% of students in the post survey said that Mariposa’s Art helped them to become more interested in school.
- 93% said that because of Mariposa’s Art, they feel they can make a difference in other people’s lives.
- 27% said that their school attendance and grades improved since participating in Mariposa’s Art, and 73% said they stayed the same.
Comparison of Pre to Post Surveys: Statistically Significant Findings
Top findings from pre and post survey comparisons showed statistically significant increases in the following five areas:
- Over the course of the year, students became much more confident speaking in front of the class.
23% of students at pre survey strongly agreed that they felt confident speaking in front of a class, increasing to 60% at post survey.
- Students improved their knowledge of their art form and were able to express themselves through this art form.
- Students completed art projects that they were proud of.
Half (54%) of the students at pre survey agreed/strongly agreed that they had completed art projects that they were proud of, increasing to 94% at post survey.
- Students gained knowledge and experience in their art form enough to help others learn it.
69% of students at pre survey agreed/strongly agreed that they had enough knowledge and experience in their art form to help others learn it, increasing to 100% at post survey.
- Students felt that they gained valuable information and opinions that they could share with their teachers and their classmates.
77% of students at pre survey agreed that they had valuable information and opinions to share with their teacher and classmates, increasing to 100% who agreed/strongly agreed at post survey.
How Does Mariposa’s Art Change Students’ Lives?
Students were asked how Mariposa’s Art changed their lives. Some students reported huge changes from the program including more happiness, better grades, more confidence, meeting new friends who do art, and learning to take more responsibility.
- “I have become more confident with presenting or talking in front of a group and have gone from an introvert to an extrovert. I am very happy working with the kids and I have grown to be at my happiest point in my life so far and have bloomed to be so happy with myself.”
- “I would always ditch classes and have really bad grades: F’s, D’s and C’s, no A’s and B’s. Now I attend all my classes with good grades: I have B’s and one A.”
- “It has changed my life because I used to be lazy and now I’m doing 3 things: new work, doing the program, going to school. My grades are better now.”
- “It has changed my life by working with beautiful young kids.”
- “Mariposa’s Art has changed me a lot…I now value my teachers more since I understand a bit more the courage and patience it takes to educate humans…I appreciate a lot more things thanks to Mariposa’s Art. I have another reason to want to attend school, which is important for my encouragement. This program is awesome! Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to experience another perspective. <3”