Administrative & Accounting Associate
*View the job description below, or download the PDF here.*
Opening: Ready to hire immediately.
Schedule: 20/week. Monday-Friday. Four hours daily, with some flexibility as needed.
Location: Arts Council office on the Tannery Arts Center campus in Santa Cruz
Reporting: This position reports to the Finance Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary range $18-22/hr
- Part-time, non-exempt position working 20 hours per week. We are looking for a minimum one-year commitment. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- Flexible, family-friendly schedule.
Who we are: For 40 year, Arts Council Santa Cruz County has led the charge to support the unique, ever-evolving Santa Cruz County arts community. We’re passionate advocates for the arts and the organizations and people who make art happen. We believe in the power of the arts to transform our community, and our daily work of art reflects that belief. Our staff and board team are deeply committed to and fired up about our mission to generate creativity, vibrancy, and connection in Santa Cruz County.
The job: We’re looking for a resourceful, professional, and detail-oriented person with strong computer skills, excellent follow-through, and a can-do attitude. You will provide administrative support for the Executive, entry-level accounts payable assistance, and operations support for the Arts Council office. You will also staff the front desk, greeting guests and responding to inquiries. You must be a proactive self-starter, extremely organized, and able to prioritize and juggle multiple deadline-driven tasks.
What’s it like to work with us? We operate a highly collaborative and supportive workplace where the staff is largely self-directed. We all have the opportunity and are expected to contribute not just to our own work but also to the strategic direction of the organization. We work hard, we have fun. We take responsibility for mistakes and celebrate successes. We live and breathe by our core values: collaborative, adaptable, innovative, service-oriented, and effectively and professionally run. A sense of humor and a compassionate disposition are required. The Arts Council is an award-winning Family-Friendly Workplace, and we love our work. Most importantly, we are all here to be of service to the arts and to our community.
And Now For Something Completely Different: The ideal candidate will have the majority of the skills outlined in this job description. However, if you beautifully fit most, but not all, of the bill, apply anyway. In either case, be direct in your cover letter about your strengths and interests. Arts Council Santa Cruz County is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
What does our hiring process look like?
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling interviews as soon as we have strong candidates.
- Following the interview, we may ask for some prepared materials relevant to this position, and conduct a second round of interviews.
- We will extend an offer to the best candidate as soon as references are checked.
To apply: Please email your resume and a cover letter in one PDF outlining your interest and fit for the position to email@example.com. Please title your email and the PDF with this naming convention: Your last name – Admin Associate Application. In your cover letter, please do not restate information we’ll find in your resume. Tell us why this opportunity lights your fire, and why you would be an amazing fit at the Arts Council. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assist the Executive Director with administrative tasks and Finance Manager with accounts payable. Coordinate the smooth operations of our office.
Arts Council/Tannery Arts Center First Point of Contact (20%)
- Be the warm welcome – staff the reception desk, answer phones
- Be a point of contact for inquiries about the Tannery and Arts Council for all walk-in traffic and connect inquirers with the appropriate people or resources
- Manage the Arts Council Council conference room calendar
Operations Support (20%)
- Support operations by interfacing with vendors to address safety, technology infrastructure, and building maintenance issues
- Coordinate office supply purchases
Executive Support (20%)
- Calendar meetings, make travel arrangements
- Create and submit mileage and expense reports
- Coordinate the gathering of information from staff & board members for board and committee meetings
- Create, submit for approval, and then disseminate board packets prior to board meetings
- Coordinate all logistics and room set-up for each board meeting
- Provide meeting and event support as needed, including setting up the conference room, purchasing snacks, picking up orders, making copies, stuffing envelopes, and other duties
- Provide administrative support by creating, updating and printing documents using Google Suite and other programs
Finance Support (40%)
- Support accounts payable and weekly check runs.
- Provide support with data entry, filing and mailings
- Coordinate weekly bank deposits
- Jack/Jill/Pat of All Trades – Assist Arts Council staff in a variety of areas, which may include mailings, research, invoicing, and events
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- At least two years in an office setting, one year with accounts payable
- Experience in finance support, specifically Quickbooks
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with high professionalism, humor, and grace
- Self-directed with a passion for (or at least great satisfaction in) meeting goals and deadlines.
- Strong writing skills
- Open communicator, unafraid to ask questions
- High expectations for quality
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Google Suite and MS Office.