Mariposa Arts Program Assistant
Opening: Ready to hire immediately.
Schedule: 15 hours/week and additional hours occasionally. Schedule is flexible but must include Monday afternoons for program meetings and supply pick-ups, and every other Wednesday morning for Arts Council staff meetings, as well as occasional evenings and weekends. Ideal schedule Monday & Tuesday 10:30 to 5 (30 minute unpaid lunch required) and Wednesday 1 to 4 (Wednesday times would alternate from afternoons to mornings for staff meetings every other Wednesday). First 2 weeks schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (with similar schedule above) for training.
Location: 112 East Beach St., Watsonville, CA and occasionally at the Arts Council office on the Tannery Arts Center campus in Santa Cruz, CA.
Reporting: This position reports to the Mariposa Arts Program Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary: $16/hour
- Part-time, non-exempt position working 15 hours per week. We are looking for a minimum one-year commitment. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- Flexible, family-friendly schedule.
Who we are: For 40 years, Arts Council Santa Cruz County has led the charge to support the unique, ever-evolving Santa Cruz County arts community. We’re passionate advocates for the arts and the organizations and people who make art happen. We believe in the power of the arts to transform our community, and our daily work of art reflects that belief. Our staff and board team are deeply committed to and fired up about our mission to generate creativity, vibrancy, and connection in Santa Cruz County.
The job: We’re looking for a resourceful, professional, and detail-oriented person with strong computer skills, excellent follow-through, and a can-do attitude. You will provide administrative support for the Mariposa Arts Coordinator. You will also be in charge of managing supplies for the Mariposa Arts TEACH program. You must be a proactive self-starter, extremely organized, and able to prioritize and juggle multiple deadline-driven tasks.
What’s it like to work with us? We operate a highly collaborative and supportive workplace where the staff is largely self-directed. We all have the opportunity and are expected to contribute not just to our own work but also to the strategic direction of the organization. We work hard, we have fun. We take responsibility for mistakes and celebrate successes. We live and breathe by our core values: collaborative, adaptable, innovative, service-oriented, and effectively and professionally run. A sense of humor and a compassionate disposition are required. The Arts Council is an award-winning Family-Friendly Workplace, and we love our work. Most importantly, we are all here to be of service to the arts and to our community.
And Now For Something Completely Different: The ideal candidate will have the majority of the skills outlined in this job description. However, if you beautifully fit most, but not all, of the bill, apply anyway. In either case, be direct in your cover letter about your strengths and interests. Arts Council Santa Cruz County is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
What does our hiring process look like?
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling interviews as soon as we have strong candidates.
- Following the interview, we may ask for some prepared materials relevant to this position, and conduct a second round of interviews.
- We will extend an offer to the best candidate as soon as references are checked.
To apply: Please email your resume and a cover letter in one PDF outlining your interest and fit for the position to email@example.com. Please title your email and the PDF with this naming convention: Your last name – Mariposa Arts Program Assistant. In your cover letter, please do not restate information we’ll find in your resume. Tell us why this opportunity lights your fire, and why you would be an amazing fit at the Arts Council. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Summary: Managing, ordering, organizing, preparing, and packing after school program supplies and administrative duties including filing, reporting, copying, and communications.
- Represent the organization positively and maintain positive working relationships with staff, board, Teaching Artists, Student Teachers, students, parents, volunteers, vendors, donors, and others – ongoing
- Communicate and meet with Teaching Artists regarding supply needs – ongoing
- Utilize program schedule, project plans, lesson plans, and supply lists to ensure timely ordering and packing of supplies to meet program needs – ongoing
- Order, purchase and pick up program supplies for office, recruitment, trainings, classes, workshops, and events while staying within budget – ongoing
- Prepare and pack program supplies for recruitment, trainings, classes, workshops, and events [cutting, counting, sorting, organizing, restringing guitars, creating educational aides, etc] – ongoing
- Unpack, clean, and restock/re-file returned supplies and lesson plan materials – ongoing
- Maintain and organize curriculum files and examples, including updating supply lists, printing, copying, and creating educational materials and examples – ongoing
- Maintain, clean, and organize the office – ongoing
- Label and copy all receipts and order confirmations for Finance Manager and Supply Expense File; and track all expenses in Supply Report spreadsheet – ongoing
- Answer the office phone, provide general program information, and receive and deliver messages to MA Coordinator – ongoing
- Recruit, train, and oversee supply room volunteers – ongoing
- Clean office floors, tables, counters, and sink and take out recycling – weekly
- Meet with MA Coordinator – weekly
- Attend Arts Council staff meetings – biweekly
- Attend MA staff meetings – quarterly
- Dispose of broken/used up items, take inventory of remaining supplies, and compile shopping list – biannually
- Assist with transporting instruments – biannually
- Coordinate with supply donors and vendors – as needed
- Pick up, sort, and stock in-kind donations – as needed
- Assist with program presentations, events, and exhibits – as needed
- Attend additional organizational meetings – occasionally
- Assist with data entry and miscellaneous administrative tasks – occasionally
- Spoken and written translation of English/Spanish materials – occasionally
- Taking pictures and posting on social media during events – occasionally
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Minimum 2+ years assistant, front office and/or retail experience.
- Two years of college or equivalent (equivalent experience will be considered).
- Background/interest in Visual Arts.
- Sincere desire to assist in providing quality arts education to Watsonville youth
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and Google Gmail, Calendar, and Drive
- Ability to establish relationships based on mutual respect and communication
- Practical, quick, and resourceful problem-solving skills
- Ability to suggest options and alternatives
- Quick and efficient organizer
- Attentive to details
- Self-motivated and directed
- Open communicator, unafraid to ask questions
- Experience managing volunteers or personnel
- Able to repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs. and use a 3-ft high step-stool
- Able to perform repetitive tasks with hands like using a paper cutter
- Must wear non-slip shoes
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Must pass a Pajaro Valley School District employee screening including:
- Pass a Live Scan Fingerprinting Background Check to work in high school setting
- Supply a negative TB test result to work in high school setting
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working in an educational setting, and managing high school aged youth
- Experience organizing and ordering inventory in a retail setting
- Privately insured vehicle to use for occasional supply needs
- Previously demonstrated leadership and personnel management experience
- Passion for arts, music, and systems management
- Bilingual English/Spanish