Mariposa Arts Teaching Artist
for the Mariposa Arts after school program
(Visual, Music, Theater, and/or Movement Arts)
Applications due: July 12, 2019
Program Overview: Each year, Arts Council Santa Cruz County sparks young imaginations in schools that have little or no funding for arts during the school day through its Arts Education programs, SPECTRA and Mariposa Arts. Last year more than 17,000 youth learned to express themselves, innovate, think critically, positively affect their communities through the arts.
Through Mariposa Arts Teach programs, we engage teaching artists, high schoolers, and elementary and middle school students. High school students find their voices and discover their creative gifts through training that steeps them in the arts and supports development of powerful life skills such as public speaking, lesson planning, and classroom management. Together with professional artists, they co-teach lessons, share creative experiences with younger students, and become leaders, mentors, and role models.
Position Overview: The Teaching Artist mentor recruits and supports a small group of high school students in their artistic development -– music, dance, visual arts, or drama — and trains them in teaching skills. They then accompany these high school students to elementary and middle school classrooms in after school programs and supports them in teaching the younger children in the art form. The Teaching Artist is responsible for lesson planning and, together with the Mariposa Arts Program Coordinator, assuring smooth operation of the program on all levels.
Hours and Commitment: Minimum one year commitment; up to fifteen hours per week, depending on the number of classes scheduled, generally 3 hours a day between 1-6pm. Occasional additional hours required for training, evaluation, and outreach.
Rate of Pay: $28/hour
To Apply: Submit resume, three references, work samples, and cover letter explaining your interest and experience as it relates to this position in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications due by July 12th at 5:00 pm.
- Knowledge of theory and practice of the art from
- Ability to effectively scaffold lessons for beginner and intermediate level students
- Teaching experience to effectively facilitate learning in a classroom of up to 25 students in grades 2nd-5th and/or 6th-8th.
- Facilitation and mentorship experience with high school youth
- An understanding of Visual and Performing Arts State Standards
- Proficiency in and regular access to phone, email, and Word/Excel
- Interest and enthusiasm for the arts, youth empowerment, and equity in education
- Professional, compassionate, and flexible
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English
- Residency in or connection to Watsonville community
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with administrative staff, after-school site coordinators, teachers, and students
- Maintain supplies and attendance and evaluation records
- Participate in ongoing program evaluation
- Participate in annual trainings and events
- Collect/document student projects for annual showcase
- Plan and organize developmentally appropriate curriculum for classes
- Demonstrate arts discipline techniques and forms of expression
- Facilitate for individuals, and groups of 15-25 with a mix of knowledge levels
- Evaluate student comprehension and adjust as needed
- Recruit, train, mentor, and supervise high school students
- Negative TB test
- DOJ Background check with the County Office of Education
- Personal, reliable transportation with good driving record and insurance
- At least 21 years of age
Arts Council Santa Cruz County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing services and making resources available to every resident of Santa Cruz County without regard to ethnicity, color, creed, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, political opinion, national origin, familial status, mental and physical disability, or source of income.