“I’m so thankful to be a part of the growth of the arts in Santa Cruz County.”
– Bonnie Bernardi
Join the Bonnie Bernardi Legacy Circle
Bonnie Bernardi was a founding Arts Council board member who championed our SPECTRA program from the beginning. She dedicated years of her life building and funding the program, finding qualified teachers, and seeking out schools that needed it most. Bonnie led a coalition of community leaders and activists determined to create a life-changing arts education program for youth across our county. Forty years later, her legacy lives on. We received a transformative gift from Bonnie’s estate just when it was needed most. Through her generosity, we were able to provide COVID-19 Relief Grants to the arts community she loved so dearly. You, too, have the power to leave an imprint on our vibrant arts community. Make Arts Council Santa Cruz County part of your living legacy by joining the Bonnie Bernardi Legacy Circle today.
With a planned gift, you can:
- Make a larger charitable gift than you thought possible
- Reduce your income tax and avoid capital gains taxes
- Provide inheritances for your heirs at a lower tax cost
- Diversify your investment portfolio
- Increase income and effective rate of return
- Leave a legacy without giving up assets
Join Arts Council Santa Cruz County’s Legacy Circle through your planned giving contribution. It’s simple: include one sentence in your will or living trust. It’s versatile: you can give a specific item, an amount of money, or a percentage of your estate. It’s flexible: you’re free to change your plans any time before your will or trust goes into effect. Your attorney can help make your loved ones a priority, while also helping you contribute to organizations and causes you care about.
“We support Arts Council Santa Cruz County because once a kid is turned on to one of the arts—be it music, drama, painting, sculpting, you name it—that child suddenly has a reason for going to school every day! Hey–the arts are a bridge to learning all the subjects—from math to English to science. So we support the Arts Council because it does a great job of introducing our young people to all the arts and thus making a huge difference in their overall education.”
-Rowland & Pat Rebele, Legacy Circle Members
Types of Estate Planning Gifts
Your estate-planning attorney can help you structure a gift so that your loved ones will be taken care of first. He or she can then include our sample language in a will or living trust that you establish, or add it to your existing documents through an amendment.
Consider making a gift in the form of:
- A will or living trust with a specific amount of money or a percentage of your total estate. This type of gift allows you the flexibility to change your mind at any time and your estate will benefit from a federal estate tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift.
- A beneficiary of your IRA account. This is a simple option because the forms are easy to change and the gifts are completely exempt from inheritance or income taxes.
- A payable on death (POD) account or certificate of deposit names one or more persons or charities as the beneficiary of all funds once you, the account owner, pass away. The beneficiary you name has no rights to the funds until after your lifetime. Until that time, you remain in control and are free to use the money in the bank account, change the beneficiary or close the account.
- Real Estate. When you give appreciated property you receive a federal income tax charitable deduction equal to the property’s full fair market value, avoid paying capital gains tax and selling the real estate. You can deed the property directly to the Arts Council Santa Cruz County.
- Life Insurance, IRA accounts and Gifts of Stock can also be designated to have Arts Council Santa Cruz County as the beneficiary.
Here is some sample language for you and your estate-planning attorney:
I give to Arts Council Santa Cruz County (EIN 94-2600140), a California not-for-profit corporation located in Santa Cruz, __________________________ [ __ percent of my estate, or of the residue of my estate; the sum of $ _________ dollars; the following described property; the proceeds of the sale of described property; etc.] to be used in such manner as its Board of Directors may direct. [Or, if you have a specific purpose in mind, please contact us at 831.475.9600 to ensure that we can fulfill your wishes.]
“Now, more than ever, any and all efforts to support the arts help sustain the soul of humanity. We live in challenging times, and while many feel unable to do anything, leaving a legacy to support the arts carries long term benefits: arts play an integral role in who we are as human beings and produce ‘whole’ individuals who have a healthy sense of self worth. We want to have an impact on our community/ humanity beyond our existence, and leaving an Arts Legacy helps support that effort.”
-Linda Levy, Legacy Circle Member
We invite you to make your legacy an investment in a precious, renewable resource: Creativity.
Contact our Director of Philanthropy, Ami Davis at 831.475.9600 x24 or firstname.lastname@example.org to talk about your values, our mission, and the mark you want to leave on the world.